05 February 2014

Half Marathon Training Schedule

So, I am in the process of training for my 3rd half marathon (if you are going to enjoy sweats, you gotta keep your figure somehow!) I love to vary up my workout, but twice a year, I bust my butt to accomplish some kind of running goal.  This year, I am actually planning to do 2 half marathons in the spring and maybe 1 or 2 in the fall.  I am currently training for the Philly Love Run on March 30, 2014.  My only goal is to beat my last time and run in under 1hr and 55min. 

To prevent myself from dying around mile 6, I HAVE to follow some kind of 10-12 week training plan.  I decided that this time I was going to develop my own.  Currently I am in week 3.  I usually do one long run a week with a mix of cross training and pace/speed runs throughout the week.  I usually plan to do my long runs on the Saturdays (so I can soak up the daylight), but the winter weather has not been in my favor this year.  I have been trying to squeeze in my outdoor runs whenever I can.

Here is a copy of my training schedule:



Mondays are normally designated to cross training (30 min of cardio e.g. elliptical, step class, etc,) and strength training.  It is important to keep up with LIGHT strength training because you don't want to lose muscle while you train.  You also don't want to go too hard for risk of injury.  On Tuesdays I do intervals.  Intervals help you to pick up your speed and help you to develop a faster running pace.  I like to do 1 min. and 30 sec. at a jogging pace and 1 min. 30 sec. at a sprinting pace. Then, repeat 5-7 times.  Wednesdays are cross training days.  I like to do spin class.  Thursdays are a 3-4 mile run mixed in with a couple Time Trial runs.  With a Time Trial run, warm up with an easy, light 1 mile, then pick up the pace and time yourself at each mile.  The second time, try to beat your pace.  This will help you to increase your pace for the race.  Every other week I give myself Friday off.  The "on" days are just a light relax and restoring run.  Lastly, we have the dreaded long run.  Be sure to hydrate yourself and have a small snack about an hour before. 

Some extra tips:

  • The two weeks leading up to the run, do not over-do it.  You do not want to risk injury.
  • Start to eat extra carbs, especially the week of the race.  Allow yourself one or two extra servings.
  • Invest in a good pair of shoes. Everyone has a different running technique.  To avoid pain and injury, find yourself a good pair of running shoes.
  • Vary your workouts between indoors and outdoors. 
  • If your course has hills, make sure to fine practice runs that incorporate hills.
  • Stay hydrated!
  • Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Natalie,

    Your plan is awesome. It's nice to see how you incorporate both interval training and different types of cross-training. I also loved your tips. I need to find more places to train with hills (oh joy).

    Sincerely,
    Jessie of letsruntheday.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete