08 September 2014

Weekend Project: Sequin Pocket Tee


If anyone knows me well, they know that I have been obsessed with v-necks for years.  They are so easy and simple to dress up with layering and accessories that it makes it almost impossible not to love them.  Just throw on a statement necklace and well-fitted blazer and you have an outfit ready for the office.  Switch it up with some boyfriend jeans and layering necklaces and you have the perfect outfit for a more casual look.

Lately I have been seeing a lot of v-necks gone-glam with sequence, studs and graphic prints.  Since I have so many, I decided to spice up one of my v-necks by adding in a cute little sequin pocket using old fabric.

The first thing I needed to do was decide how large I wanted my pocket.  Standing at only 5' tall, I am a pretty tiny person, so I opted for a smaller pocket.  I wanted the finished product to be about 3" by 3".  I cut out a square a little larger so I could could fold up the edges for a clean cut.


I then pinned the edges up 1/4 of an inch on each side and 1/2 inch on the bottom (the piece of fabric I used already had a top edge sewn in).  


I used a sewing machine to sew the sides of the fabric up to make a nice neat square.  Surprisingly, the sequin material was not as hard to work with as I thought!  The next step was to decide where I wanted my pocket to go.  * Helpful tip- try the shirt on first so you can visually see where you want the pocket to go.  I then pinned the square onto the shirt.  


Lastly, I hand-sewed the pocket onto the shirt.  I did this because if I were to mess up, the hand stitch is a little easier to take out, but you can totally sew on with a sewing machine.

Here is the finished product!  It turned out great and was super easy, so I think I am going to glam-up a few more of my old tees!


7 comments:

  1. Super cute! Love this idea!
    Mel

    http://girlandthepolkadot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute DIY!

    Heidi D.
    www.wishesandreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute shirt. ;-)
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this extra touch. Very cute. x

    Louise
    http://louiseplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute

    http://corleonka.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so pretty! How cool that you made your own! :)
    xo Erin
    www.winkandatwirl.com

    ReplyDelete